What is a Mastermind?
Mastermind groups offer a combination of brainstorming, education, peer accountability and support in a group setting to sharpen your business and personal skills. A mastermind group helps you and your mastermind group members achieve success.
Participants challenge each other to set important goals, and more importantly, to accomplish them. The group requires commitment, confidentiality, willingness to be creative and brainstorm ideas/solutions, and support each other with total honesty, respect and compassion. Mastermind group members act as catalysts for growth, devil’s advocates and supportive colleagues. This is the essence and value of mastermind groups.
Napoleon Hill’s Definition
The concept of the “mastermind alliance” was formally introduced by Napoleon Hill in his timeless classic, “Think And Grow Rich,” though mastermind groups have been around since the beginning of time. Even Benjamin Franklin belonged to such a group, which he called a Junto.
Napolean Hill wrote about the mastermind group principle as:
“The coordination of knowledge and effort of two or more people, who work toward a definite purpose, in the spirit of harmony.”
“No two minds ever come together without thereby creating a third, invisible intangible force, which may be likened to a third mind [the master mind].”
Who Should Attend a Mastermind Group?
- have a similar interest (such as a group for self-employed people, first-time authors, CEOs, real estate investors, or a group for people in a certain corporation or industry)
- have a similar skill and/or success level
- have the desire and inspiration to make this year extraordinary
- want a supportive team of Mastermind partners
- want to reach or exceed their goals
- are ready to let their desire to be passionate about their life and work overcome their fear of change
Does this appeal to you? Are you seeing how being a member of a Mastermind group can Grow Your Business?
What You’ll Get From Belonging to a Mastermind Group
- Answers and ideas, which come from brainstorming with the group
- Tap into the experience and skills of others
- Increased confidence that you’ve made the right decisions and are taking the right actions to achieve your goals
- Accountability and real progress in your business and personal life
- An instant and valuable support network
- A sense of shared endeavor – there are others out there!
- Design things to be the way you want them to be, not as you’ve been told they “should” be
In a mastermind group, the agenda belongs to the group and each person’s participation and commitment is key. Your mastermind partners give you feedback, help you brainstorm new possibilities, and set up accountability structures that keep you focused and on track. You create a community of supportive colleagues who brainstorm together to move the members to new heights.
You’ll gain tremendous insights which improve your business and personal life. Your mastermind group is like having a objective board of directors, a success team, and a peer advisory group, all rolled into one.
Are You Recognizing How Being a Member of a Mastermind Group Will Help?
If you are questioning, take the Mastermind Readiness Test© below
Rate yourself on a scale of 1 (“No, not at this time”) to 5 (“Yes, absolutely”):
- Do you want a supportive and encouraging team of mastermind partners?
- Are you ready to grow personally and professionally?
- Do you have the desire and inspiration to make this year extraordinary?
- Are you ready to create more focus in your life and business?
- Are you committed to attending all meetings (either in-person or via telephone) and participating regularly?
- Do you want to reach or exceed your goals?
- Are you committed to making the shift from settling for an ordinary life to one that fulfills you on new levels?
- Are you ready to let your desire to be passionate about your life and work overcome your fear of change?
- Do you want to explore specific topics and diverse views within the context of a group?
- Are you willing to invest time, money, emotion, willpower and energy into taking better care of yourself and creating the life and business you want?
- Are you willing to be supportive, and provide privacy and safety, when others share what truly matters to them?
- Are you ready to learn from your peers?
- Are you willing to ask for help?
- Are you willing to give as much as you receive?
Your Score ____
If your score is:
- 14 – 28: Take a look at yourself and ask yourself if you’re ready to create the business and life you want. What’s the first thing you’d like to work on?
- 29 – 42: You’re ready to take control of your life, your career and your personal success. A membership in a mastermind group can help you create the strategy and actions for moving forward!
- 43 – 70: You’re probably already moving forward on designing the life and business you want and deserve. Belonging to a mastermind group can help you move across the finish line!
Mastermind Readiness Test http://www.thesuccessalliance.com/mastermind-readiness-test.html
With thanks and acknowledgment to:
- Karyn Greenstreet